Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Wednesday Story Time

At my library, I do two story times on Wednesdays - a baby time and a toddler time. Each week, I try to select a few finger plays and three books that match whatever theme we're focusing on. This week's theme is All About Me.

We started with our letter of the day, M. The kids accurately told me that "Momma", "Mug" and "Monkey" started with M.
After a frantic rush to find new books because I decided I didn't like the previous titles just hours before story time was to start, I selected the following.


You're Finally Here! by Mélanie Watt
After doing our warm ups, I wanted to start with this book because it's high energy and fun. It also allows for a decent amount of audience participation which I try to encourage! The kids seemed to like this one all right but didn't really get as excited as I was :)


Me and You by Janet A. Holmes and Judith Rossell
This is a sweet, but not saccharine, book about all the things one can do and how it's always more fun when friends are involved. Since this was another bunny book (accidental!), I let the kids demonstrate their hopping and they really enjoyed that. I think the parents liked this one because it has a cute message.

I Like Myself! by Karen Beaumont
Karen Beaumont's stories are some of my favorites and this is no exception. The little girl is so full of energy and self confidence, it seemed like the perfect way to end our story times. Everyone liked this one for the great illustrations. it got a lot of interaction from the kids with them shouting out things like, "I can do that!".

Our fingerplays this week were a rousing rendition of Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes and Ten Little Fingers. We also used the Song Cube which I'll be writing a post about later this week. (UPDATE: Read the Song Cube blog post here. )

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please, leave a comment below.