Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Wednesday Story Time

At my library, I do two story times on Wednesdays - a baby time and a toddler time. Each week, I try to select a few finger plays and three books that match whatever theme we're focusing on. This week's theme is Summer.


Let's Have a Tree Party! by David Martin
Let's Have A Tree Party! is such a fun book. The kids love the illustrations and the rhythm of the book is just very entertaining. We spent some time discussing what an opossum was because our possum population is certainly lacking in the Southwest :)  


Summer by Siân Smith

This book was my foray into nonfiction during storytime. We discussed what the seasons were and appropriate activities/dress for each. The kids had fun telling me which of the activities presented in the book they were going to be doing this summer.

Mouse's First Summer by Lauren Thompson

Mouse is adorable and one of my kids this morning took a special liking to this book. For their first summer, Mouse and Minka have a picnic in the park and enjoy foods and summer time traditions like kite flying and fireworks. 

Bugs Galore by Peter Stein
This is another great rhyming book. We sang Itsy Bitsy Spider prior to this book so I had the kids point out spiders and other bugs that tehy recognized. They reacted loudly when the book talks about bugs that end up in your soup!


And, again, for the kids who just could not seem to shake their wiggles this week, I pulled out my no mess paint bags. This is beginning to be an every week occurance :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please, leave a comment below.