Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Wednesday Story Time

At my library, I do two story times on Wednesdays - a baby time and a toddler time. Each week, I try to select a few finger plays and three books that match whatever theme we're focusing on. This week's theme is Colors.

Dog's Colorful Day by Emma Dodd
Dog's Colorful Day is perfect for a colors story time. I've seen some great felt boards accompany this story but have yet to create my own. The kids really enjoyed showing me which spot was new and counting up to 10. This was a really interactive one for them which I think everyone enjoys.

I Ain't Gonna Paint No More! by Karen Beaumont
Yet another Karen Beaumont book makes an appearance at my story time, I can't help myself! I asked the kids to point to the body part that the narrator had just painted as a way to engage them. The parents also really liked the language in this one.


My Many Colored Day by Dr. Seuss
This is an extremely colorful book that would also be excellent for an emotions/feelings themed story time. I turned this into a sort of activity book, as well. I had them flap their wings like birds, buzz like bees and show me which color was their favorite. This really helped make the story individualized, too.


Lemons Are Not Red by Laura Vaccaro Seeger

I really thought this would appeal to all ages but it seems like the older kids were the ones who really got it. This book has fantastically vibrant colors on the pages that I thought would attract the babies but this morning they were in a mood that lent itself better to activities and songs than books and that's okay! The older kids had a great time telling me what color the objects actually were and shouting out the color on the pages as we went along.


For the kids who just could not seem to shake their wiggles this week, I pulled out my no mess paint bags. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please, leave a comment below.