Thursday, June 14, 2012

Wednesday Story Time

Whoops. This one is coming to you a day late - Wednesday just got away from me!

At my library, I do two story times on Wednesdays - a baby time and a toddler time. Each week, I try to select a few finger plays and three books that match whatever theme we're focusing on. This week's theme is  Monsters.


Leonardo the Terrible Monster by Mo Willems
While a few of my kids seemed concerned when I told them the theme this week, Leonardo convinced them that monsters could be fun. The parents and the kids both got a kick out of Sam's long winded explanation for his tears, too!
 

Go Away, Big Green Monster! by Ed Emberley
 
A definite monster classic, the kids at my storytimee had a good time shouting out what color the body part was when I prompted them and, when I switched it up, what body part was what color. This book leaves so many opportunities for interactive story telling - I really love it.

Monster Hug! by David Ezra Stein
Though this book doesn't have a lot of dialogue, it has some fantastic images. We searched the images for certain object and also use the book to talk about numbers and colors. Our group was a bit older than this book was probably written for so asking these questions helped me age up my storytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please, leave a comment below.