Monday, June 11, 2012

Dealing With Large Groups

In my last storytime wrap up, I asked for tips of what you do to help wrangle in some of the larger, wilder storytime groups. After looking around and picking the brains of some of my colleagues, I've come up with some suggestions for those of you who are at a loss.

Create a storytime atmosphere that is more condusive to a presentation or show than a circle time.
Some storytellers use PowerPoint presentations (something I'll be posting about later this week) while others set up mini stages for themselves. The use of these props sets the tone that those in attendance are an audience. While it changes the dynamic of the program, the use of a microphone (if needed) or other "unconventional" storytime equipment can help to make sure that every one in attendance has the option to pay attention over the noise of a large group.

Provide toys to play with throughout the program.
For my baby time, I lay out a parachute and then place soft blocks, balls and other toys on it. The kids are free to crawl around and play with them while we sing, read and learn. This time spent interacting with other children and their parents is still important to their devlopment.

Adapt your program.
If you realize that the storytime has gotten out of hand and you've lost their attention, fall back on prepared free-for-all activities or games instead. This can stifle any fussiness and, again, encourages interaction with other children.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please, leave a comment below.